Current Students

The first step will be to contact ACES. Any accommodation requests must be supported by medical documentation in accordance with the Procedure for Documentation Regarding a Student's Accommodation Request.


This information can be scanned and forwarded to gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca, or sent to:

Grenfell Campus – MUN

20 University Drive

Corner Brook, NL

A2H 5G4

Attn: ACES Staff


You will be contacted by ACES for an intake interview. Following the intake interview, which can be done either in person or through videoconferencing, accommodations will be established.

Every effort is being made to assist instructors and students to ensure that appropriate accommodations, whether the course is on-campus, online, or remote learning are made. After registering with ACES, we will forward information about your accommodations to your instructors. We also encourage you to reach out to your instructors to ensure your accommodations can be met.

If you have any concerns with the way your accommodations are provided once your instructors have been contacted, we encourage you to contact ACES staff at gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca.

Depending on the disability type and the documentation you provided, your accommodations may have an expiry date. For example, a student who requested accommodations due to an unexpected injury (i.e., a broken wrist) would have their accommodations entered as temporary and their accommodations would have an expiry date. If your accommodations have expired and you would like to request an extension, please contact ACES staff at gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca. You may need to provide updated documentation to extend your accommodations.

Email gcaces@mun.ca to inform them of your upcoming tests and exams. In the email, include the following information: your name and student number; name of course and professor; and time and date exam/test begins and concludes.

For remote learning courses, all exam-related accommodations (extra time, etc.) will be the responsibility of your instructor.  Instructors are working with ACES, as well as the Centre for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL), to make accommodations available for online tests and quizzes. If you have any questions about your accommodations, we encourage you to discuss this with your instructor. You can always contact ACES staff to discuss any concerns.

For online (CITL) courses, all arrangements for exam accommodations will be made through the CITL office.

Alternate formats for some textbooks, such as PDFs, may be available. ACES can request an alternate format of a text on your behalf. To do so, send an email to gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca

Proof of purchase of the textbook will be required before we can contact any publishers on your behalf; please ensure you keep a copy of your receipts.

The NL Student Aid program offers students, who identify as having a permanent disability, access to additional funding for their university studies. To be eligible, you must have applied for Student Aid and be approved for funding – (at least $1).

Please visit the NL Student Aid website for more information and an application. For any questions, please call Student Aid NL at 1-709-729-5849 or toll-free at 1-888-657-0800 or email at studentaidenquiry@gov.nl.ca.



  • The cost of services and equipment may bring you to that $1 of need. For example: if it is determined, in your needs assessment, that you have excess resources of $500 (so do not qualify for Student Aid) but the services and equipment needed will cost $2000 – you may then be determined to have $1500 of need and thus eligible to be assessed for the Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities and the Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities.
  • Students from other provinces and territories are eligible for similar funding from their student aid programs. ACES can also assist with applications to those programs.

As a part of the Learning Centre, ACES can help set you up with a tutor. This can be established, either by requesting a tutor in the Learning Centre, AS 234, or by utilizing the funding for tutoring you received from Student Aid. If you are wondering about funding for a tutor, please see the Student Aid section of this FAQ.

For more information about Career Development, please click here. (link to come)

Future Students

If you are new to Grenfell Campus, we suggest you contact ACES as soon as possible and before the start of your first semester. Future students should e-mail gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca at any time to schedule a meeting with an ACES staff to discuss accommodations.

All accommodation requests (e.g., additional time to write a test) and services (e.g. housing requests, parking requests) are based on documented needs as per the Accommodations for Students with Disabilities policy. It is the responsibility of the individual requesting an accommodation to provide the necessary and appropriate documentation to ACES, as outlined in this procedure from the policy.

To request an accessible dorm room, you will need to complete the Application for Alternative Housing at Grenfell Campus.

Please note that there are strict deadlines for these requests, as these rooms are in short supply. While we consider all applications, there is no guarantee that we can provide your room request, as these decisions are based on a multitude of needs.

If you have a government-issued accessible (blue zone) parking permit, several identified blue zone parking spaces are available to you at Grenfell Campus. No other permit is necessary.

If you require a parking permit for medical reasons but do not currently have a blue zone permit, ACES can support your request with Facilities Management. Email your request to gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca.  Please ensure to include your name and student number and attach any supporting documentation.

Faculty and Staff

Please review the following process for administering student accommodations: Academic Accommodations.

For students with extra time accommodation, you can easily adjust this setting within the "Assessment" tab on your Brightspace course website. Check out this resource for accurate directions.

CITL has developed several resources with accessibility-related accommodations in Brightspace. 

Yes. Some accommodations are not applicable for all courses taught remotely or online and others may be challenging to provide.  Regardless, there is a responsibility to meet students' academic accommodations. ACES is prepared to assist you with this process.  If you have questions about implementing specific accommodations for students in a remote and/or online instruction environment, please reach out to our staff by emailing gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca.

Please check out CITL's Instructional Continuity website for more great ideas about remote and online instruction. ACES staff is also prepared to provide advice and assistance. Please contact us at gcaces@grenfell.mun.ca.