Dr. Alex Faseruk chair in financial management
The Dr. Alex Faseruk chair in financial management is dedicated to teaching and learning in this vital area of business studies.
Held by Dr. Emmanuel Haven, this prestigious professorship ensures that students are educated to the highest standards in public and private sector finance, ethics and integrity. This teaching chair also:
- Contributes to undergraduate and graduate curriculum development;
- Enhances our financial management curricula through teaching innovations;
- Improves learning experiences for our students by capitalizing on the White Trading Lab;
- Provides important teaching and research mentorship to junior faculty members;
- Collaborates with researchers and partners within the faculty and across Memorial and the broader community;
- Offers guidance to student clubs; and
- Attracts top students - the next generation of business leaders!
Dr. Haven is the former head of the finance division at the School of Business, University of Leicester. A respected educator, he received several super star awards from that school's students' union for his teaching.
Professor, teacher, scholar
The Dr. Alex Faseruk chair in financial management was developed to honour the legacy of Dr. Alex Faseruk, who retired in 2014 after 34 years at the Faculty of Business Administration.
Admired for his enthusiasm in developing financial management expertise in his students, Dr. Faseruk received 24 teaching awards during his time at Memorial, including being named a 3M Teaching Fellow and winning the President's Award for Distinguished Teaching, National Post's Leaders in Management Education award, a Distinguished Teaching Award from the Academy of Finance, and a Beta Gama Sigma Leadership Award. In 2016, Dr. Faseruk was named Professor Emeritus at Memorial University.
Dr. Faseruk also coached student case competition teams, resulting in Memorial students winning close to 200 awards in national and international business student competitions.
As a direct result of his influence, the Faculty of Business Administration developed a reputation for excellence in financial management education and producing graduates who would become leaders in the investment and financial management sectors.