Travel Support for Graduate Students
The Faculty of Science encourages graduate students to present their work publicly and to interact with their peers from other institutions. To facilitate this, the faculty provides support for conference travel according to the guidelines below. It is expected that students will have sought support from their research supervisor and department and that support will also be sought from the School of Graduate Studies, the Graduate Student Union and any other relevant sources.
- The grants shall be for a maximum of $400 and will normally be comparable to the student’s departmental support.
- M.Sc. students shall be eligible for one such grant during their program. Typically this will be taken near the completion of the program so that the student will be able to present his/her research results.
- Ph.D. students shall be eligible for two such grants during their programs, with the proviso that no more than one grant shall be given in any one fiscal year.
- To be eligible to receive a grant, the student must be presenting at the conference (poster or oral presentations are equally acceptable).
- Application must be made to the Office of the Dean of Science using the Graduate Student Request for Travel Assistance form. Written proof of acceptance of a paper for presentation is to be submitted with the application. If the paper has not been accepted at the time of application, funding will be provided conditional on acceptance.
- Travel expenditures and claims must conform to the travel guidelines of the university. Information and advice may be obtained from the departmental office of the student.
- Deviation from this policy may be made at the discretion of the Dean.
For more information, please visit the School of Graduate Studies Graduate Student Conference and Travel Policy.