Rules & Regulations
- Presenters must be currently registered in a Masters (thesis route only) or PhD program in the Faculty of Science at Memorial University.
- PhD students who have defended but have not yet graduated are eligible.
- Presentations must be based on research that is directly related to the student's graduate program thesis.
- Presenters must agree to be recorded.
- Presenters must be available to present, live via Webex on the day of the competition.
- Presenters must not have placed in the top three of a 3MT competition before.
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted (no slide transitions, animations or 'movement' of any description, the slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration).
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to three minutes maximum and competitors exceeding three minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (eg. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
- Was the thesis topic and its significance communicated in language appropriate to an intelligent but non-specialist audience?
- Did the presentation help the audience understand the research?
- Did the oration make the audience want to know more?