Policy for Allocating Majors
In order to be assigned a major, students must be eligible for promotion to Academic Term 3 in accordance with the requirements as defined in the University Calendar.
Major assignments are influenced by the capacity constraints of both the Faculty and the majors as set by the Faculty Management Group (the Dean and Department Heads).
Eligible students will be assigned a major in one of two match processes:
Initial Match Process (early in the Spring semester)
- Students who have completed at least six of the nine required courses and are registered for all remaining Engineering One courses may be considered in this match process.
- Students must submit a Major Preference Form by the end of the first day of classes in the Spring semester to be considered for the initial match process.
- Students will be ranked based on their current promotion average.
- Majors will be assigned starting from the top of the ranked list of students.
- Students will be matched to their highest-ranked major choice only.
- A letter notifying a student of their major assignment will be sent to their @mun.ca e-mail address.
- An early match is conditional on meeting all promotion requirements by the end of the Spring semester.
- A student may forfeit an early match by submitting a Match Forfeit Form and submit a new ranking using the Major Preference Form.
Final Match Process (after Spring semester):
- Students who are eligible for promotion to Academic Term 3 and were not placed in the initial match process (or who forfeited their initial match will be ranked in this process).
- Students may update their major preferences using the Major Preference Form up until the end of the last day of classes in the Spring semester.
- Majors will be assigned starting from the top of the ranked list of eligible students. Students will be assigned their highest ranked major choice, unless the capacity of that major has been reached. In that case the second ranked major will be assigned and so on.
- A letter notifying a student of his/her major assignment will be sent to the @mun.ca e-mail address of the student before the Fall semester begins.
- Promotable students who, due to space restrictions, could not be matched to at least their fourth choice of major will be contacted by the Office of the Associate Dean, and be dealt with on an individual basis.
Students may request a change to a major assignment following the final match process, however, reassignment will only occur if space is available. The deadline for such requests will be 5:00PM on the first day of classes in Academic Term 3.
Last revised 24-02-2023