100th anniversary celebrations

In 2021-2022 the Faculty of Education celebrated 100 years of teacher education in Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Faculty's story began with the founding of the Newfoundland Normal School (NNS) for teacher training, which officially opened in fall of 1921 with a class of twenty-two students led by Principal Solomon Whiteway. By 1924, the Normal School was relocated to a new building on Parade Street, St. John's, where it was eventually joined in 1925 by Memorial University College (MUC). After over a decade of collaboration between the two institutions, in 1934 NNS became a fully integrated part of MUC.

For over 100 years our faculty and alumni have had a dynamic and significant impact on the social, cultural, political, economic, artistic, and educational fabric of our province. 

Several celbratory events weer held over the course of the year long celebrations: