Funding for Professional Development

Funding for professional development activities and conference travel is available to academic staff members (MUNFA) and clinical faculty members. Faculty members can also avail of the professional development programs offered by OPD and CITL. The majority of these programs are free for all faculty members. 

Professional Development Fund for Academic Staff Members (MUNFA)

Academic Staff members governed by the MUN-MUNFA Collective Agreement are eligible for Professional Development and Travel Expense Reimbursement (PDTER). For information about the amount available and eligible expenses, refer to the MUN-MUNFA Collective Agreement (benefits section, clauses 31.55-31.69). Claims need to be submitted to the appropriate Administrative Head. 

MUNFA faculty members are eligible to apply for assisted educational leave and may register or audit one credit course at the University per semester. Refer to the MUN-MUNFA Collective Agreement for more information (see clauses 22.32-22.40 and 31.68 - 31.69 respectively). 

Funding for clinical faculty

Clinical (non-bargaining unit) faculty members may request funding for professional development through discipline funds. Eligible expenses are outlined in the Discipline Funds and Operating Budget Expenses policy. Faculty members should contact their respective Discipline Chair to discuss funding options. 

Support for advanced degrees for clinical faculty members may be available through the Faculty of Medicine. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis by the Director of Administrative Services and the Vice-Dean. Faculty members interested in pursuing an advanced degree should discuss the matter with their respective Discipline Chair.  

Social Sciences and Humanities Research (SSHR) Travel Grants

Faculty members in disciplines supported by SSHR can apply for SSHR travel grants. See the internal funding section of Memorial University's research website for more detail.