Develop Essential Skills
Developing essential skills is a key part of your academic journey. Building a diverse range of skills and competencies is critical to your professional development and directly relevant to your success both within and after graduate school.
Improve your communication and leadership skills.
- Enhance your presentation skills by joining Memorial Toastmasters
- Read about 10 ways to improve your communication skills
- See Workshops and Events to register for sessions such as 'Preparing to Write Your Thesis: An Academic Writing Workshop'
- Explore various leadership programs offered by Student Life
- Check out these videos for excellent tips on academic writing
Grow your confidence and gain skills to support you throughout your degree program.
- Seek out various academic support programs and mental health resources provided by the Student Wellness and Counselling Centre
- Volunteer and get involved to build your social support network and meet other graduate students
- Learn how to adapt by developing and implementing a plan to enhance your resilience
- Set academic, career and personal goals to help you progress through your degree and set yourself up for continued success
Build your research competency.
- Ensure your research is being conducted in an ethical manner by reviewing information on integrity and research ethics
- Attend PHIA Training for Graduate Students if it is required in your program of study
- See Workshops and Events to register for sessions such as Avoiding Plagiarism
- Understand academic integrity and why it is crucial in your academic work
- Review Citation and Style Guides to ensure that you are referencing your work accurately