Prepare for Your Career
A defined career plan is essential to success in the professional job market. This is the time to reflect on the skills you have gained throughout your academic program and know how to clearly articulate these skills to potential employers. Effective career tools and resources are essential to secure a solid path for your future career.
Identify your transferable skills.
- Learn how to translate your academic work and explore the variety of career options available to you.
- Know the skills that can help you most in your career path
- Identify your career readiness competencies
Prepare and finalize your job search documents.
- Ensure that you have a strong resume or CV
- Take time to prepare a compelling cover letter that highlights your main strengths and achievements
Know where to go and how to connect with employers.
- Explore post-graduate recruitment programs in the public and private sectors
- Visit job search websites such as Career Beacon and Indeed for postings
- Become familiar with career support programs such as the Graduate Transition to Employment Program
- Know what an informational interview is and explore this tutorial with sample questions to find out specific tips for graduate students
- Research professional associations that may be related to your field
Develop a professional social media presence.
- Ensure that you have an up-to-date LinkedIn profile
- View LinkedIn for Students videos and tip sheets to make the most of your career search
- Know how to search for jobs and network effectively using LinkedIn
Practice your interview skills and know how to negotiate your salary.
- Check out interview tips and review sample interview questions
- Contact your career advisor to make an appointment for a mock (practice) interview
- Visit websites such as Glassdoor or Payscale for reviews of potential employers and salary research
- Get answers to questions on salaries, benefits and performance evaluations in various non-academic fields
- Gain advice on how to successfully negotiate your salary