Why Business Administration @ Memorial?
Memorial's Faculty of Business Administration is recognized as a leader in Canadian business education. Our faculty members rank first among universities in Atlantic Canada for contributions to top business journals, influencing how and what students are taught. Our graduates are well prepared to make decisions, run organizations and hold leadership positions in public, private and non-profit sectors across the globe.
The Faculty of Business Administration offers a part-time or full-time course-based Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (GDBA). The GDBA is designed to expand students’ career opportunities by augmenting the academic credentials they have already earned. Accessible course scheduling over lunch hours and evenings combined with a three semester system offers students flexibility to begin their studies in either the Fall, Winter, or Spring semesters.
Memorial offers two Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)-accredited Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs – a traditional two-year MBA and a 12-month MBA in Social Enterprise and Entrepreneurship (MBA-SEE). The traditional MBA program offers an outstanding combination of small class sizes, flexible study options, variety of teaching approaches and international focus, which combine to strengthen students’ communication skills and develop a broad knowledge base in our graduates. Progressive course structures and high academic standards are applied to produce highly skilled graduates capable of competing in the global marketplace. A combination of teaching styles engages students and encourages their participation while small classes allow for enhanced student-faculty interaction and greater personal instruction. A mix of part-time and full-time students enhances classroom discussion. Teaching approaches vary and include case studies, role playing, lectures, research projects and interactive simulations.
Memorial’s 12-month MBA-SEE is the only MBA program in Canada purposefully designed to prepare students to become a new kind of leader for a new way of doing business – one that is based on the three pillars of sustainability: people, planet, and profits. With a focus on preparing business leaders who are committed to sustainable and social business practices, and the practical experience of a four-month internship, the MBA-SEE allows students to gain business skills through the lens of sustainable and social enterprise and develop the necessary skills to present sustainable thinking to business leaders and funders. Every course helps students develop a keen understanding of the strategic context of social enterprise and social entrepreneurship. Students enter the MBA-SEE as part of a cohort, providing them with a shared experience that develops and solidifies a professional network to last a lifetime.
Description of program
- MBA – A traditional 20-course MBA program is open to full and part-time students. It is designed to prepare highly qualified students to become executive decision-makers who are cognizant of their operating environment, including international dimensions. The MBA program’s key objectives are to: 1) develop future managers’ problem-solving and decision-making skills, enabling them to identify, analyze, and solve complex and unstructured problems; and 2) provide a broad operating knowledge of management concepts and practices that can adapt to a wide variety of organizations and environments. The program can be completed in two years of full-time study though the duration of program may be reduced depending on the number of course exemptions received. Applicants who have completed relevant coursework in business, economics and statistics may be exempt from up to 10 courses (30 credit hours). Applicants must have achieved a grade of 75 per cent or higher in the relevant equivalent undergraduate courses, and have completed them within seven years from the year in which they are seeking admission to the MBA program. Transcript evaluations are completed by the Course-based Masters Office.
- GDBA – A five-course, part-time or full-time program designed to deliver crucial management skills through relevant course offerings with flexibility for working professionals who have at least five years of work experience. No GMAT requirement.
- MBA-SEE – A 12-month, full-time MBA-SEE program designed to create agents of change. In gaining skills to manage social enterprises and to create profitable and social business opportunities, our graduates are equipped to apply their learning to the launch of new business venture ideas, apply their skill set to existing social enterprises, and effectively and efficiently measure triple bottom lines for any organization. Our 17-course program includes a one week orientation, two on-campus academic semesters (Fall and Winter), a four-month internship and a post-internship return to campus to summarize the learning outcomes of the internship and present a reflections paper. There are no course exemptions and no elective courses. Students are required to complete all 17 MBA-SEE courses.
Minimum admission requirements
- MBA – Bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4-point scale, balanced GMAT score of at least 550 or balanced GRE score of at least 302, two years of full-time relevant work experience, two letters of reference, and, for applicants whose prior university instruction was not in English, demonstration of English language proficiency. Minimum TOEFL scores are: 580 for the paper-based test; 237 on the computer-based test; or 92 on the Internet-based test. The minimum IELTS score is an overall band score of 7.0. The minimum MUNTEL score is an overall band score of 70. The minimum Duolingo English Test score is an aggregate score of 125.
- GDBA – Bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4-point scale, five years of full-time work experience, two letters of reference and, for applicants whose prior university instruction was not in English, demonstration of English language proficiency. Minimum TOEFL scores are: 580 for the paper-based test; 237 on the computer-based test; or 92 on the Internet-based test. The minimum IELTS score is an overall band score of 7.0. The minimum MUNTEL score is an overall band score of 70. The minimum Duolingo English Test score is an aggregate score of 125. The GMAT is not required.
- MBA-SEE – Bachelor's degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75 on a 4-point scale, balanced GMAT score of at least 550 or balanced GRE score of at least 302, at least two years of full-time work experience, or equivalent work and volunteer experience, two letters of reference, a completed social enterprise questionnaire, and, for applicants whose prior university instruction was not in English, demonstration of English language proficiency. Minimum TOEFL scores are: 580 for the paper-based test; 237 on the computer-based test; or 92 on the Internet-based test. The minimum IELTS score is an overall band score of 7.0. The minimum MUNTEL score is an overall band score of 70. The minimum Duolingo English Test score is an aggregate score of 125.
Graduate student and alumni profiles
Our graduate students come from all parts of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, and the world. View our alumni profiles to learn more about alumni like Christina, below, what they do and why they chose Memorial.
Note: All figures are in Canadian dollars and subject to change. Fees are approved by the University’s Board of Regents. In the event of a discrepancy between the fees approved by the Board and those published on this website, the fees approved by the Board will prevail. Financial policies are enforced through the Department of Financial and Administrative Services. For the complete and official list of all fees and charges, visit www.mun.ca/finance/fees/.
GDBA, MBA, MBA-SEE
The Graduate Diploma, MBA, and MBA-SEE, are offered in the Faculty of Business Administration, which is internationally accredited by AACSB International.
Duration (Full-time students):
GDBA: 1-3 years
MBA: 2 years
MBA-SEE: 1 year
February 1 (International for MBA and GDBA, MBA-SEE) for Fall admission
October 31 (Canadian GDBA and part-time MBA) for Winter admission
February 28 (Canadian GDBA and part-time MBA) for Spring admission
June 30 (Canadian for MBA and GDBA) for Fall admission
MBA: $12,000 (International students), $6,000 (NL & Canadian students)
GDBA: $3,000 (International students), $1,500 (NL & Canadian students)
Tuition (NL students):
Tuition (Other Canadian students):
Tuition (International students):
More tuition information
All programs in business administration have special fees. Please view the Minimum Expense Form for details.