2025

2025

Looking Back | Launching Forth

Memorial University marks its centennial. The university was founded to honour the past by building a better future. And thanks to a century of commitment from students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters, Memorial has helped shape Newfoundland and Labrador. Throughout the year, the university will celebrate our shared history and the history yet to be made.

2024

2024

NATO PICKS THE LAUNCH

The Launch is selected as a test centre for NATO’s Defence Innovation Accelerator for the North Atlantic network. The Defence Innovation Accelerator for the North Atlantic network provides a variety of infrastructures where companies and researchers can demonstrate and validate technologies for both defence and civilian purposes. The designation reinforces the Marine Institute’s significant role in providing access to world-class infrastructure and test facilities to partners nationally and internationally.

2024

Bound for space

Killick-1, C-CORE and Memorial University’s student-built satellite, launches at Space View Park in Florida. Killick-1 measures sea ice extent and ocean parameters, providing unique and critical data for climate change research. Since 2019, the project has involved some 130 student volunteers, work-term students and graduate students.

2023

2023

An aerial photograph of a Canadian Coast Guard vessel in icy open water

Investment in the Arctic

A $91.6-million investment in the Qanittaq Clean Arctic Shipping Initiative is the largest research grant ever awarded to either Memorial or the Inuit Circumpolar Council Canada. Memorial and the Inuit Circumpolar Council Canada co-lead a global partnership to respond to the increase in Arctic shipping, the related environmental impacts affecting Arctic communities and the need for safe and cost-efficient resupply for Inuit communities.

2023

An overhead shot of a building next to the ocean called The Launch that is a marine living lab

Launching the Launch

The Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University officially opens The Launch. Located in the Town of Holyrood, the Launch is a state-of-the-art marine living lab that offers a safe, reliable, near-Arctic environment to test new technology, train in harsh conditions and explore the next advancements in ocean research.

2022

2022

A photo of the Labrador Campus of Memorial University in Happy Valley-Goose Bay

The Labrador Campus

After a 40-year presence in Labrador, the Labrador Institute transitions to a full academic campus, and the new Labrador Campus of Memorial University in Happy Valley-Goose Bay is born.

2021

2021

A Whale’s Tale

A massive, 25-metre blue whale skeleton is installed in the Core Sciences Facility on the St. John’s campus. The acquisition and display of the rare blue whale skeleton is made possible by a generous donation from Mark and Sandra Dobbin and Craig and Lisa Dobbin in honour of Eleanor “Penney” Dobbin, Mark and Craig’s mother. In 2023, a public vote is held to name the whale. More than 5,000 ballots are cast, and Memorial’s big blue whale is named Altum.

2021

A photo of Elder G. Jean Crane and Elder Nellie May Winters in academic robes on stage at a special convocation ceremony held in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

A first for Labrador

Memorial University confers honorary degrees on respected Inuit healer, artist and educator Elder G. Jean Crane and renowned Inuit artist, author and educator Elder Nellie May Winters in a special convocation ceremony held in Happy Valley-Goose Bay. The special session of convocation is the first to be held in Labrador.

2021

Juniper House

The Indigenous Student Resource Centre officially opens Juniper House on Elizabeth Avenue in St. John’s. A former private residence, Juniper House provides space for the services and programming the Indigenous Student Resource Centre offers to Indigenous students at Memorial.

2021

Core Science Facility

The Core Science Facility welcomes the first students through its doors. The state-of-the-art facility is a catalyst for collaboration and new discoveries and is a rich, on-campus learning environment for students. The building design is inspired by the natural characteristics of the province, particularly icebergs.

2020

2020

Arctic and Sub-Arctic Studies

Memorial establishes its first academic unit based in Labrador. The School of Arctic and Sub-Arctic Studies in Happy Valley-Goose Bay is Memorial’s newest academic unit. The school’s mission is to provide place-based, Indigenous-led and northern-focused programs to meet the needs and priorities of Labrador and the North.

2020

Industry meets academia

The Centre of Research and Innovation is a collaboration between Grenfell Campus, College of the North Atlantic and Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Limited (CBPPL). The centre is housed in the former CBPPL Human Resources Building and aims to be a hub from which new businesses, ideas and innovative practices emerge through the collaborations of industry and entrepreneurs, students and faculty and community leaders and government representatives.

2020

Covid-19 help

Memorial’s expertise responds to a variety of COVID-19 challenges. Researchers design, fabricate and test critical personal equipment. They consult and advise on the chemical compatibilities of soaps and disinfectants. And they work with local manufacturers to produce personal protective equipment locally. From using robots to searching for therapies and vaccines, Memorial faculty put their expertise – and time – to work.

2019

2019

An aerial photo of 80-acre farm in Labrador that will become the Pye Centre

The Pye Centre

Memorial establishes the Pye Centre for Northern Boreal Food Systems in Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador. The centre partners with farmers, the Nunatsiavut Government, the NunatuKavut Community Council, the Innu Nation, the Department of Fisheries, Forestry and Agriculture and Grenfell Campus to respond to Labrador’s food systems, food security and food sovereignty. The farm donates thousands of pounds of vegetables to community organizations annually.

2019

A photo of outside of the Johnson Geo Centre. The building is blue and white with mostly long vertical glass panes and is slanted.

Largest single gift

The Johnson Geo Centre Foundation donates the centre’s infrastructure, assets and the Crown lease for the Geo Park to Memorial. This was the largest single gift in the university’s history, valued at over $20 million. Cut from the ancient rock of Signal Hill, the Johnson Geo Centre takes you deep underground to experience the story of our planet, our solar system and our future. Each year it welcomes almost 40,000 visitors.

2018

2018

A photo of the Signal Hill Campus

Signal Hill Campus

Memorial opens its newest campus. Signal Hill Campus in downtown St. John’s is an exciting location for the university and community to connect and work collaboratively on a number of the province’s priorities and opportunities. Externally focused Memorial units, including the Harris Centre, the Gardiner Centre, Genesis and the Office of Public Engagement, move in. The building is also home to graduate student residences, a conference centre, the MUN Pensioners Association and Business and Arts NL.

2017

2017

A photo of Memorial University Seas-Hawks Adam Boland, Stephen Trickett, Zach Young and Evan Kearley who win the USports Men’s Curling Canada Championship in 2017

Perfect Season

The Memorial University Sea-Hawks win the USports Men’s Curling Canada Championship. The team of Adam Boland, Stephen Trickett, Zach Young and Evan Kearley finished their season with a perfect record of 17-0. This is the second time Memorial has won the men’s national varsity championship in curling.

2017

ENTREPRENEURIAL LEADERS

Memorial establishes the Memorial Centre for Entrepreneurship (MCE). The centre plays a key role in developing academic capacity that aims to increase understanding of vibrant entrepreneurship within the Memorial community, to improve the economic success of new business ventures and to foster a stronger entrepreneurial culture at Memorial and throughout Newfoundland and Labrador. Successful companies like CoLab and BreatheSuite get their start at MCE.

2016

2016

Mi’kmaw musician and dancer Paul Pike at the 2023 Grenfell Campus All-Nations Powwow

Grenfell’s Annual All-Nations Powwow

Grenfell Campus hosts its first All-Nations Powwow. The All-Nations Powwow is now a well-attended event held every fall, having recently held its eighth All-Nations Powwow in 2024. The event draws hundreds of Indigenous and non-Indigenous people together for a day of learning and celebration.

2016

A man in dressed in winter clothing sitting on the snow with a laptop and research equipment. He is surrounded by blowing snow and mountains.

NORTHERN COLLABORATION

SmartICE, a social enterprise that provides climate change adaptation tools for sea-ice monitoring and safety in northern communities, officially launches. The multi award-winning project is initially developed through research at Memorial and later expands with support from Indigenous partners, government agencies and research institutions. SmartICE is a shining example of how research at Memorial is improving the communities we live in.

2015

2015

Best in class

The Craig L. Dobbin Genetics Research Centre, where the Faculty of Medicine performs cutting-edge research with advanced technology, officially opens. The technology includes one of the largest and fastest high-performance computing systems in Canada, which enables faster analysis of data related to critical health-care challenges.

2014

2014

The Grenfell Campus residence complex

Grenfell Campus Residence Complex

Grenfell Campus's landscape changes with the opening of the residence complex, the latest addition to its student housing community. The new 200-room residence has the capacity to house up to 600 students.

2014

A photo of the Macpherson College building

Macpherson College

Memorial University officially names its new St. John’s residence Macpherson College. The 500-bed facility has two wings: Cluett Hall and Shiwak Hall. The college’s namesake is Dr. Cluny Macpherson, who invented the gas mask used by British/Newfoundland troops in the First World War. Cluett and Shiwak Halls are named for Frances Cluett, one of Memorial’s earliest alumni, who served with the Voluntary Aid Detachment, and John Shiwak, an Inuit hunter who came to be known as one of the best snipers in the British forces.

2011

2011

A photo of the Grenfell Observatory

Star Gazing

A professional telescope is installed in Grenfell Campus’s Arts and Science building, and the Grenfell Observatory opens to the public in 2012. It is one of the largest research telescopes in Atlantic Canada, and the observatory now hosts about 1,000 visitors every year.

2008

2008

Medical Breakthrough

Researchers at Memorial University discover the gene responsible for arrhythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy (ARVC), a deadly genetic heart condition highly prevalent in Newfoundland and Labrador. An interdisciplinary research team in cardiac genetics from Memorial — led by Drs. Terry-Lynn Young, Patrick Parfrey and Sean Connors — identified the genetic cause of the disease. The discovery, published in the February 28 online American Journal of Human Genetics (co-first authors Drs. Nancy Merner and Kathy Hodgkinson), could lead to more interventions and, eventually, a cure for the deadly disease.

2008

A group photo of Enactus Memorial student with the award for the first Enactus World Cup.

World Champions

Enactus Memorial, a student-run volunteer group, wins its first Enactus World Cup. Enactus is an international non-profit organization that mobilizes post-secondary students to develop projects that use business processes and models to improve the lives of people in their communities. Each year, teams from 35 countries compete for the world title. By 2017, Enactus Memorial is the most successful Canadian team in history with 10 national titles to its credit and two world championships.

2007

2007

A photo of Drs. Angus and Jean Bruneau presenting a cheque

Bruneau Benefactors

Angus and Jean Bruneau present the largest single donation from living individuals at the time. The Angus Bruneau Student Leadership and Innovation Fund in Engineering offers life-changing opportunities for students in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science. The gift is a game-changer and encourages others to think about transformational giving.

2006

2006

A photo of the new Memorial University logo

A New Look

Memorial launches its institutional brand: Memorial is the natural place for people and ideas to "become." It reflects the idea of transformation and that Memorial offers the freedom to explore and experience your ingenuity. The logo shape is inspired by Newfoundland and Labrador’s landscape. It suggests a rock face, cliff or iceberg and symbolizes strength and an adventurous spirit.

2005

2005

A photo of Petro-Canada Hall within the School of Music from 2005

World-Class Music in Real Time

Petro-Canada Hall officially opens in the School of Music. Now known as Suncor Energy Hall, it is a beautiful and sophisticated rehearsal and teaching facility with special internet technology that allows students and professors to rehearse and perform, in real time, with musicians anywhere else in the world. 

2003

2003

A photo of Jamie King, Brendan Brothers and Raymond Pretty standing alongside each other smiling.

Crime Fighters in the Information Age

Memorial University engineering graduate students Jamie King, Brendan Brothers and Raymond Pretty form Verafin. The company will create the financial industry’s leading financial crime management platform. In 2019, Verafin will receive an investment of $515 million, the largest venture capital deal in Canadian history. In 2020, Nasdaq will acquire Verafin for US$2.75 billion.

2002

2002

A landscape photo of the Bonne Bay Marine Station in Norris Point

BONNE BAY AQUARIUM AND RESEARCH CENTRE

Memorial officially opens the then-named Bonne Bay Marine Station in Norris Point. Built on the site of Memorial's 30-year-old biology field station, the facility serves as a teaching centre for marine biology and environmental studies university students, a research complex and a public marine interpretation centre.

2002

Business First

Memorial’s business faculty becomes the first in Atlantic Canada to receive accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. The faculty offered the first co-operative undergraduate business program in Canada in 1973. It is currently one of 25 Canadian schools to hold accreditation, confirming its place among the top business faculties in the world.

2000

2000

A photo of the main entrance to the University Center

The UC

The Smallwood Centre opens on the St. John’s campus. Under its roof, student government and student services have a common and modern home. The six-storey building also houses a food court, retail shops and office space for student clubs and societies. The centre bridges the south side of campus with the north side and is commonly referred to as the “university centre” or by the acronym UC.

1995

1995

Grenfell Rises

The Library and Computing Building at Grenfell Campus opens in Corner Brook. In November, the library is dedicated to the memory of E.J. Ferriss Hodgett, Grenfell's first vice-principal, who showed an unconditional commitment to the college. From a single complex that housed classrooms, laboratories, library, bookstore, gym, pool, dining hall and residence, Grenfell has developed into a liberal arts institution with 1,200 students and five modern buildings.

1993

1993

A photo showing inside the Marine Institutes ship-bridge simulator

Simulating the High Seas

The Marine Institute launches the MV MOSTRC, a full-mission, full-motion ship bridge simulator, offering state-of-the-art industrial marine training. The simulator’s hydraulic base mimics the motion of wind and waves. The bridge is surrounded by a 10-metre-high screen. Training on the bridge feels like the realistic motion of a ship and a corresponding sea state is pictured out the windows.

Watch Video

1992

1992

A photo fo Glenn Blundon

Advancing Accessibility

The Glenn Roy Blundon Centre officially opens at Memorial. The mission of the Blundon Centre is to provide and co-ordinate programs and services that enable students with disabilities to maximize their educational potential and to increase awareness of inclusive values among all members of the university community. The centre is named in honour of Glenn Roy Blundon, a former Memorial student remembered for his advocacy, leadership and commitment to equality and accessibility on campus.

1992

A photo of the the Fisheries and Marine Institute building

Joining Forces

The Fisheries and Marine Institute becomes affiliated with Memorial University. The world-class centre for marine technology and education at Memorial is more commonly known as the Marine Institute or by its initials, MI. The institute also manages the Offshore Safety and Survival Centre in Foxtrap, the Safety and Emergency Response Training Centre in Stephenville, a regional fisheries and marine training centre in Lewisporte and The Launch, an innovation hub in Holyrood.

1992

A photos of Bernice Morgan in academic robes

Literary Landmark

Bernice Morgan publishes the novel Random Passage. Morgan is a former Memorial University staff member; she worked as an information officer with the former Division of University Relations and Development and as an editor of the Gazette Considered one of the finest novels ever written by a Newfoundlander, Random Passage sparks a resurgence of Newfoundland and Labrador literary novels. Memorial confers an honorary degree on Morgan in 1998.

1991

1991

Making Waves

Memorial University releases the promotional and informational video Making Waves hosted by Gordon Pinsent. The video is now a time capsule of the university and some of its facilities in the 1990s. The 14-minute video also includes snippets of lectures from some of Memorial’s best-known faculty members, including Neil Bose, Noreen Golfman, Elliott Leyton, Jon Lien and Shane O’Dea.

Watch Video

1989

1989

3 people stood by a photo of the new seahawks logo

Sea-Hawks Take Flight

Before 1989, the Sea-Hawks were known as the Beothuks. The name was changed to the Sea-Hawks to create a more recognizable and inclusive identity for the university's athletic teams.

1989

No more line-ups

Memorial introduces telephone registration for courses, the second university in Canada to do so. The system allows students to register for courses using a touch-tone phone. No more lining up in the Thompson Student Centre hoping to get your courses! As internet access becomes more widespread, it is replaced by online registration.

1987

1987

Students on the Air Waves

CHMR Radio begins broadcasting on the FM band. A product of the students’ union, CHMR is found at 93.5 FM and, with a little free training, any undergraduate student can start a program on the station. CHMR also offers its equipment to undergraduate students interested in online podcasts.

 

1987

A headshot photo of Elizabeth Miller

The House of Dracula

Elizabeth (Russell) Miller earns a PhD from Memorial. A member of Memorial’s Department of English teaching Romantic and Newfoundland literature, she becomes one of the world’s leading experts on Bram Stoker and his novel, Dracula. She publishes seven books on the topic and is given the honorary title of baroness of the House of Dracula by Romania’s Transylvanian Society of Dracula. Miller frequently appeared on radio and television, especially during Halloween.

1986

1986

Telemedicine’s Marconi Moment

The Telemedicine Centre establishes a first in Canada's telecommunications history with a teleconference link between Canada and a developing country for the purpose of health education and patient care. The centre made a satellite link between the Health Sciences Centre in St. John's and the Department of Pediatrics in Kenya.

1986

Bibliography of Newfoundland

The two-volume Bibliography of Newfoundland, compiled by librarian Agnes O'Dea and edited by Anne Alexander, is published by the University of Toronto Press for Memorial University. The bibliography contains information on everything from books, pamphlets and government documents to personal letters and diaries written in Newfoundland. Work on the bibliography started in the 1950s and was instrumental in the creation of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies.

1984

1984

A photo of the Fine Arts building from 1984 at the Sir Wilfred Grenfell College

Fine Arts at Grenfell

Sir Wilfred Grenfell College (now Grenfell Campus) establishes the Fine Arts Program in Corner Brook. The Fine Arts building opens in 1988, and the program confers bachelor of fine arts degrees upon its first graduates in 1992.

1982

1982

A photo of the exterior of the QEII library from 1982

Opening the QEII

Architect Charles H. Cullum designs Memorial’s Queen Elizabeth II Library. Cullum’s Bauhaus and New Brutalist influences can be seen in the building, which is the largest academic library in Atlantic Canada. It is a common campus myth that the QEII, as it is colloquially known, was built backwards. But the QEII was constructed as Cullum intended with the reading room’s large windows overlooking the scenery of Mount Scio.

1982

Dictionary of Newfoundland English

The groundbreaking Dictionary of Newfoundland English includes 11,000 entries and numerous English words invented in Newfoundland and Labrador. Edited by Drs. George Story, William J. Kirwin and John D.A. Widdowson, the dictionary is the result of 20 years of research. You can search the Dictionary of Newfoundland English online.

1981

1981

A photo of Dr. Alex Faseruk smiling

Best in the Business

Alex Faseruk joins the Faculty of Business Administration. During his 34 years with the faculty, Faseruk receives 24 teaching awards. As a beloved teacher and mentor, he coaches Memorial business teams to more than 50 first place finishes in national and international competitions. He coaches three teams to victory in the John Molson MBA International Case Competition. By 2017 Memorial teams will have won the International Case Competition’s Concordia Cup five times, more than any other team in the world.

1980

1980

A photo of student protestors in 1980 on the crosswalk after student Judy Lynn Ford was killed by a vehicle crossing Prince Philip Parkway

Judy Lynn Ford

Twenty-year-old Memorial student Judy Lynn Ford of Port-aux-Basques is struck and killed by a vehicle while crossing the Prince Philip Parkway. The tragedy sparks a week-long blockade of the parkway by nearly 2,000 Memorial students demanding a safer crossing system. It leads to the construction of two pedways. In 2019 Memorial unveils a storyboard dedicated to Ford’s memory in the University Centre’s food court, which passes over the parkway.

1978

1978

A photo of Dr. Jon Lien

The Whale Man

Dr. Jon Lien rescues a whale entangled in fishing gear. It is the beginning of the work that will earn him international renown. In 1979, he establishes the Whale Research Group. He invents acoustic devices that deter whales from fishing gear and pioneers release techniques used to save whales around the world. He is respected by both scientists across the globe and by fishermen at home. Over his career, Lien rescues over 500 marine animals and is nicknamed The Whale Man.

1978

A photo of the Health Sciences Centre from 1978

Hospital Home

Premier Frank Moores officially opens the Health Sciences Centre on October 26, 1978. Several Memorial University key figures — including Dr. Ian Rusted, Lord Taylor of Harlow, Moses Morgan and Charles M. Campbell — play major roles in making the new hospital a reality. The Health Sciences Centre serves the entire province of Newfoundland and Labrador and is home to Memorial’s Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Nursing and School of Pharmacy.

1977

1977

Telemedicine

Memorial University launches its Telemedicine Project under the guidance of Dr. A.M. House. On April 7 at 3:30 p.m. a closed-circuit, audio-visual connection using the Hermes satellite is established between Ottawa, St. John’s, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador City, St. Anthony and Stephenville. The goal of telemedicine is to provide continuing education for doctors, nurses and other health professionals across Newfoundland and Labrador. The Hermes satellite is the most powerful transmitter orbiting the planet at the time. Over the years, Memorial is recognized as a world leader in telehealth.

1977

A large crowd at the Aquarena’s track and field site during the 1977 Canada Summer Games

Canada Summer Games

The City of St. John’s hosts the Canada Summer Games. The Aquarena and a track and field site are built for the Games west of the St. John’s campus. Memorial University assumes control of the facilities in 1995.

1975

1975

Black and white photograph of the West Coast Regional College building

A Campus in Corner Brook

The West Coast Regional College of Memorial University opens in Corner Brook, built on 100 acres of land donated by the Bowater Newfoundland Company. The college provides Memorial with a vital and long-awaited presence on the west coast of the island. In 1979, it will be renamed Sir Wilfred Grenfell College and, in 2010, it will become Grenfell Campus. Grenfell is widely known for its exceptional fine arts and environmental programming.

1974

1974

Focus on research

Memorial creates an Office of Research to provide information both on research in progress at the university and on research funding sources. The aim is to stimulate interdisciplinary research at Memorial, as well as foster, promote and co-ordinate research related to Newfoundland and Labrador.

1971

1971

An outdoor wooden path with trees and plants surrounding it. There is a beige sign by the path with MUN Botantical Gardens written on it along with a pitcher plant logo.

Botanical Beauty

The Botanical Garden at Oxen Pond in St. John’s is established to preserve and promote the natural history of the province. Development begins with one hectare of land, and the garden opens to the public in 1977. By 2022, the garden covers 110 acres and offers nature trails, themed gardens, a greenhouse and an alpine house. The Botanical Garden supports researchers and offers numerous programs to the public. Open seasonally from May to November, it also opens in December for the Merry and Bright Festival. 

1971

Underwater habitat

Memorial’s first major venture in ocean research takes place with the launch of LORA-1, short for low temperature ocean activity. LORA-1 is a cylindrical laboratory, eight-feet wide and 16-feet long, with two bunks, a sink, portable toilet, stove, TV and telephone and is anchored off St. Philip’s in 30 feet of water. It is believed to be the only cold-water habitat in operation in the world at the time.

1970

1970

A team photo of the men’s varsity soccer team with some sitting and standing in their uniforms

National Soccer Champions

The Memorial University men’s varsity soccer team wins the national intercollegiate championship. In a game played in two inches of snow at York University, the team from Memorial overcame a two-goal deficit to defeat Loyola College of Montreal by a score of 4 to 2 in the championship game.

1969

1969

Full degree program

Memorial begins its own degree-granting co-operative engineering program. Undergraduate degrees are offered in three disciplines: civil, mechanical and electrical engineering, as well as a new master of engineering degree in ocean engineering.

1969

An english cottage style brown brick building with at least 4 stories

A campus in england

The Harlow Campus opens in England, housing professors from Memorial University and students from the local Harlow College. While Memorial social work students are the first to use Harlow Campus, education students are the campus mainstay throughout the 1970s and 1980s. Harlow has since delivered credit courses in arts, sciences, visual arts, theatre and business, as well as housing interns from various faculties and departments.

1968

1968

The logo of the gazette featuring the word Gazette in large grey text with the word MUN and mun's crest located under the G and the A.

Launching the Gazette

The first issue of the MUN Gazette is published on Aug. 2. The newspaper will simplify its name to the Gazette in 1974. Print issues cease in January 2016 as the Gazette evolves into an online news site.

1968

Aerial view of the Paton College residences

Paton College Completed

After six years of construction, all 10 buildings of the university residence complex are now complete. The beautiful red-brick residences are united under one name, Paton College, after Memorial’s first president, John Lewis Paton.

1967

1967

The Fogo Process

Memorial’s Extension Service and the National Film Board of Canada begin production of 28 short films about Fogo Island and its residents. The films unite Fogo Islanders around common goals and community advancement. The films are also screened for politicians and civil servants to promote engagement and social development. It becomes known as the Fogo Process and will be emulated around the world. You can access the videos of the Fogo Process through Memorial University’s Digital Archives Initiative.

1967

A black and white photo of Dr. Ian Rusted

Faculty of Medicine

Dr. Ian Rusted is appointed the first dean of Memorial’s Faculty of Medicine. In the early days, the faculty is divided between the General Hospital on Forest Road and the Education building. Temporary buildings on campus will house the faculty through most of the 1970s until the Health Sciences Centre is completed. The first class graduates in 1973.

1967

A headshot of Dr. Elliott Leyton smiling with his hand on his face

Studying serial killers

Dr. Elliott Leyton joins the former Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Memorial. In 1986, Leyton published Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer, a landmark in the psychological study of serial killers. It becomes an international bestseller, and Leyton goes on to advise the RCMP, the FBI and Scotland Yard. At Memorial, his War and Aggression course becomes extremely popular among students in all disciplines. The London Times will dub Leyton the “Godfather of criminal psychology.”

1967

A sea anemone building

The Marine Sciences Research Laboratory is constructed in Logy Bay to meet the needs of faculty interested in marine organisms. The facility would grow from the main building, known for its round shape that was modelled after a sea anemone, to include the additional buildings, most recently, the Cold-Water and Deep-Sea Research Facility. The Ocean Sciences Centre, as it is now called, is a leading cold-ocean research facility in Canada.

1966

1966

Origins of Memorial University Press

Memorial’s Institute of Social and Economic Research (ISER) founds its publication arm, ISER Books. ISER initially publishes research fellows’ doctoral theses relating to Newfoundland and Labrador economics, anthropology and sociology. In the 1970s, ISER expands its mandate to publish monographs about the society, culture and economy of the wider North Atlantic region. By 2020 ISER Books will publish more than 120 titles; about 100 of those remain in print. In 2021 ISER Books rebrands to become Memorial University Press, but its mandate to publish scholarly books about the North Atlantic region remains consistent.

1966

Need for Nurses

The Department of Nursing welcomes its first 38 students in September. Through most of the 1970s, the nursing school is located in a single room in a temporary building on the St. John’s campus until moving to its permanent home when the Health Sciences Centre opens in 1978. Today the Faculty of Nursing enrols more than 500 students in its undergraduate and graduate programs.

1965

1965

The cover of the Muse from October 8, 1965, with the Headline Free Tuition

The Premier and the Provocateur

Leading up to the 1966 provincial election, Premier Joseph Smallwood announces free tuition for Newfoundland and Labrador first-year students. Student activist Rex Murphy criticizes the plan on national television as a fraud, arguing that tuition increases in later years will cover the costs. Smallwood subsequently extends free tuition to all Newfoundland and Labrador students. Murphy is elected president of the students’ union that same day. The Smallwood government’s austerity budget of 1968 ends free tuition.

1965

BOYLE TROHPY CHAMPIONS

Memorial University’s senior Beothuks hockey team battles the defending champion Guards for the Boyle Trophy in Game 7 of the city championship. Down three games to one, Memorial fights back to tie the series and goes on to win the seventh and deciding game against a team everyone said they couldn’t beat. In 2015 the champions are recognized with the Team of Distinction Award. They are only the second varsity team in Memorial’s history to receive the honour.

1964

1964

A photo of a sign for College of Fisheries, Navigation, Marine Engineering and Electronics

From First Steps to World Leaders

The College of Fisheries opens at the Parade Street campus in St. John’s. Now known as the Marine Institute, it moves to its Ridge Road location in 1985 and joins Memorial in 1992. It grows to become Canada’s leading centre for fisheries and marine training and is one of the largest marine educational facilities in the world. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, almost 50 per cent of the college’s enrolment is from rural areas of the province and most are fishermen.

1961

1961

Highschool students carrying community flags parade along Elizabeth Avenue in St. John’s

A New Campus

The Elizabeth Avenue campus in St. John's officially opens. Nineteen honorary degrees are conferred on dignitaries and Roy H. Thompson is installed as the second chancellor. Thousands of students from schools across the province parade down Elizabeth Avenue to mark the occasion and the event is broadcast across the country. It is the biggest assembly of university dignitaries to ever meet in Canada to date and is followed by a state banquet with almost 1,000 guests.

1961

Patrons admire the art on display at the opening of the university art gallery

Art for Everyone

The Memorial University Art Gallery officially opens in the university library. Christopher Pratt, who later rises to prominence as one of Canada’s most-celebrated artists, is the gallery’s first curator. The gallery and its collection move to the Arts and Culture Centre in 1968. The impressive Memorial University Art Collection is now held at The Rooms, which contains 4,600 artworks.

1961

Decks Awash

With federal government support, Memorial’s Extension Service produces Decks Awash, an educational television program informing the province’s fishermen of technological advances in the industry. Extension Service also publishes a Decks Awash magazine from 1968 to 1993. The magazine is a treasure trove of history and is available at the Centre for Newfoundland Studies. You can also read Decks Awash

1959

1959

A photo of Memorial students marching to the Colonial Building

Early Student Activism

On March 26, Memorial students march to the Colonial Building, the seat of the Newfoundland Legislature. The march is in support of the provincial government as students protest the federal government's refusal to give the province more funding under Term 29 of Newfoundland's Terms of Union with Canada.

1959

Memorial Reaches Out

Memorial founds its Extension Service with John Coleman as its first director. Extension becomes known for using innovative approaches to support social change and community development. The university begins expanding its outreach programs; by 1961 correspondence courses are offered for credit. Evening classes include radio and television, home economics, music, drama, conversational French and German, appreciation of literature, English composition, accounting, business, mathematics, art, creative writing and world politics.

1954

1954

A portrait o Agnes ODea in academic robes

Architect of the Archives

The Carnegie Corporation donates $30,000 over three years to establish a provincial archive. During this time, librarian Agnes O’Dea compiles the first comprehensive bibliography of Newfoundland and Labrador writing, which leads to the establishment of the Centre for Newfoundland Studies. In 1959 the archives transfer to the provincial government and eventually move to the Provincial Archives Division at The Rooms. Memorial awards O’Dea an honorary degree in 1960.

1952

1952

Lord Rothermere lays the cornerstone for the new Memorial University campus on Elizabeth Avenue in 1952

First Chancellor

Esmond Cecil Harmsworth, Memorial University’s first chancellor and the second viscount Rothermere, lays the cornerstone for the new Elizabeth Avenue campus. A copy of The Muse newspaper is enclosed in the cornerstone.

1951

1951

A black and white photo of Premier Joseph Smallwood turns the first sod to begin construction of the new university campus on Elizabeth Avenue in St. John’s.

Space to Grow

On May 27, Premier Joseph Smallwood turns the first sod to begin construction of the new university campus on Elizabeth Avenue in St. John’s. The 80-acre site, at that time on the outskirts of the city, had been a part of the Halliday family farm.

1951

Memorial University coat of arms

Memorial’s Coat of Arms

The Memorial University coat of arms, designed by alumnus Robert Horwood, is adopted in 1951. The colours claret and white used in the arms symbolize courage and purity and are the colours of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment.

1950

1950

A photo of the first cover of the MUSE

The Muse

The Student Representative Council publishes the first issue of the student newspaper in December. It has an incomplete title; the word “The” followed by a blank space. A contest is held for students, but no suitable names are found. They ask the Department of English for help. The name Muse was chosen based on the Greek letter M (called mu), the initials of the university (MU), the reference to the muses (the Greek goddesses of the arts and sciences) and Muse rhyming with news.

1949

1949

University Status

Newfoundland enters Confederation and becomes Canada’s 10th province. Newfoundlanders and Labradorians voted to join Canada in a referendum held on July 22, 1948. One of the new Newfoundland House of Assembly’s first actions is to enact legislation elevating Memorial University College to university status as Memorial University of Newfoundland.

1947

1947

Members of the Newfoundland National Convention seated in the House of Assembly chambers of the Colonial Building

One Step Closer

On May 22, members of Newfoundland’s National Convention debate the elevation of Memorial University College to university status. Joesph R. Smallwood and Memorial University College graduate Michael Harrington deliver passionate speeches about the need for a university.

1946

1946

A Crowded House

The number of registered students reaches 434. It is the highest enrolment in the college’s history so far, and with the rise in student numbers, overcrowding on the Parade Street campus becomes a serious issue. The assembly hall is partitioned to form new classrooms.

John Lewis Paton, the college’s first president, dies and bequeaths £3,000 to Memorial, one quarter of the residue of his estate.

1945

1945

In Memoriam

On Sept. 2, the Second World War ends. Three hundred and ten former Memorial University College students volunteer for active service. Thirty of the former students are reported dead or missing. Their names are recorded in Memorial’s academic calendar.

1941

1941

Students in caps and gowns parade through St. John’s on their way to their graduation ceremony

Responding to the War Effort

Memorial provides its gymnasium for use as a hospital for the Royal Canadian Navy. It would later be used as a merchant-marine hospital. Students will not use the gymnasium again until 1944.

Photo of the graduating class parading from the Parade Street campus to Pitts Memorial Hall, June 7, 1941, courtesy Marion Peters Scott

1940

1940

The War Years

Following the beginning of the Second World War, the college forms a cadet corps in July. Male students are required to participate in military drills, and female students are enrolled in first aid and physical training. Beginning in October, the military training occurs once a week at the Church Lads Brigade Armoury. The training is more than perfunctory; with each passing year, more Memorial students and alumni volunteer for active service.

1939

1939

Black and white photograph of author Margaret Duly

A Writer's Wit

Margaret Duley, Newfoundland’s first internationally acclaimed novelist, publishes Cold Pastoral. She portrays a Memorial University College graduation ceremony where over a dozen speakers refer to the college’s motto, provehito in altum (launch forth into the deep). A character exclaims, “My God, if another person tells them to plunge into the deep, I’ll follow with pleasure.” A plaque dedicated to Duley is mounted near the main entrance of the Queen Elizabeth II Library on the St. John’s campus. Photo courtesy of the Encyclopedia of Newfoundland and Labrador.

1937

1937

A photo of Grace Butt

Players on Parade

Memorial’s 300-seat assembly hall becomes home to the St. John’s Players, founded by playwright Grace Butt, who completed her teacher training at the Normal School. The St. John’s Players (still in existence today) will become the city’s most-celebrated amateur theatre group, even making their own additions and improvements to the assembly hall. In 1981 Memorial awards Butt an honorary degree for her contribution to art and culture in Newfoundland and Labrador.

1934

1934

Reviving Education

Memorial opens its Department of Teacher Training. The new department is of vital importance as it fills the void left by the closure of the Normal School, which was phased out of existence in 1932. Through the 1930s, students enrolled in teacher training receive grants to cover their $50 tuition fee. In 1946, Teacher Training will be renamed the Department of Education. And thanks to organizational foresight and advance planning, the department starts offering fourth-year courses as soon as Memorial achieves university status in 1949. 

1933

1933

Black and white photograph of Albert George Hatcher

Steady Hand in Hard Times

Albert George Hatcher is named Memorial University College’s second president. His tenure begins as the worst effects of the Great Depression are being felt across Newfoundland and Labrador. It’s a difficult time for the young college, but Hatcher’s leadership ensures its survival as it meets the needs of students and the community. When the college is granted university status in 1949, Hatcher is named the first president of Memorial University of Newfoundland.

1933

Black and white photograph of Sadie Organ

There’s No Place Like Home

Sadie Organ becomes one of Memorial’s first graduates to return as a faculty member. She teaches mathematics and becomes the college librarian, a position she holds for 25 years. She also takes an active role in the life of the college by directing plays performed by Memorial’s Dramatic Society at the Parade Street campus.

1933

Group photograph of the faculty and staff of Memorial University College in 1933

A Growing Faculty

Memorial University College opened with six faculty members. By 1933, it had doubled. Left to right: C.A.D. MacIntosh (engineering); Muriel Hunter (Spanish); Allan Fraser (history, economics, political science); Monnie Mansfield (registrar); Albert Hatcher (math); Paul Lovett-Janison (chemistry); J.L. Paton (president, classics, German); Reginald Harling (physics); Sadie Organ (math, library); Alfred Hunter (English, French); Helena McGrath (classics, English); and Fred Sleggs (biology).

 

1932

1932

A black and white photo of the Parade Street campus building from 1932

Winging it

A three-storey wing opens on Parade Street campus with additional laboratories, kitchens, a large lecture theatre and a gymnasium, the largest in Newfoundland at the time. As enrolment continues to rise, staff and faculty find creative solutions to accommodate students and the evening courses being offered to the extended community. Through the Great Depression, the Second World War and beyond, temporary buildings are used and the assembly hall is divided into classrooms.

1932

ART COMES TO ST. JOHN’S

Memorial hosts its first art exhibit. The Carnegie Corporation donates a history of art set that consists of about 2,000 reproductions and 200 books of art. Muriel Hatcher, the wife of Dr. A.C. Hunter, agrees to curate the exhibit. The exhibits become regular events, giving many locals their first introduction to art. In 1940, Muriel Hunter established the St. John’s Art Club.

1931

1931

Black and white photo of engineering students in class with Professor C.A.D. McIntosh.

Engineering the Future

A three-year program in pre-engineering begins at the college and is met with enthusiasm by Newfoundland’s large industrial firms. Regular field trips mean students receive instruction everywhere from the Bell Island mines to the Corner Brook paper mill. In 1939 the department approaches engineering firms to find summer employment for students, establishing the foundation for the department’s co-operative education program, which begins in 1969 and is one of the oldest in Canada.

1930

1930

Image of the 1932 cover of cap and gown

The Cap and Gown

Memorial University College students publish their first magazine for the public, titled the College Mag. The following year in January, it is retitled the Cap and Gown and is published under that name for nearly 70 years. Supported by advertisements from local businesses, the magazine initially publishes poetry, stories, essays and images of the graduating classes. As graduating classes grow larger over the years, the Cap and Gown evolves into a photographic yearbook.

1929

1929

Black and white photograph of Monnie Mansfield seated at her desk

A Driving Force

Monnie Mansfield becomes the Memorial University College registrar. She holds the position for 30 years and becomes one of the driving forces behind the college’s success. During her first year on staff, she studies librarianship at Columbia University and, starting in 1930, finds time to act as Memorial’s first librarian. In 1944 she is appointed dean of Women. Memorial University confers its first honorary degree upon Mansfield in 1960.

1928

1928

Books by Sea

Memorial University College helps establish a travelling library. Four years earlier, several of the college’s founding trustees requested the Carnegie Corporation fund the venture. It responded with a $5,000 donation. Special sea-worthy travelling boxes are designed to carry 30‒50 books each. The boxes are carried by steamer vessels to 44 communities. Books are distributed from Newfoundland’s South Coast to North West River, Labrador.

1926

1926

A headshot in black and white of Helena McGrath cropped as a circle

The First Graduate

In June of 1926, Helena McGrath becomes the first graduate of Memorial University College. Nancy Frost is the first person to receive a scholarship, the College Scholarship, valued at $600.

Photo of Helena (McGrath) Frecker courtesy Maire O’Dea

1925

1925

A black and white photographic portrait of Reverand Levi Curtis

The Remarkable Journey of Levi Curtis

Memorial University College needs a president. The founding trustees set their sights on John Lewis Paton, who is on a speaking tour of Canada at the time. In April, founding trustee Levi Curtis travels more than halfway across the continent to find Paton and speak with him in person. In Winnipeg, Manitoba, presumably in a hotel room, Curtis meets with Paton to discuss the vision of Memorial University College.

1925

A black and white photograph of John Lewis Paton in academic robes

Paton for President

On April 26, 1925, John Lewis Paton accepts the presidency of Memorial University College. Born in 1863 in Sheffield, England, Paton is the retired high master of Manchester Grammar School and is considered an authority in the field of educational organization.

1925

Class photograph of the first students and faculty of Memorial University College

Sept. 15, 1925

Gov. Sir William Allardyce officially opens Memorial University College on Parade Street in St. John’s. It is named as a memorial to the Newfoundlanders who fought and died in the First World War. Fifty-seven students enrol; tuition is $40 for the academic year. Students and faculty, including President Paton, plant 150 trees and shrubs to beautify the grounds. In 2010 one of the trees is replanted on the Elizabeth Avenue campus.

1925

Black and white military photograph of Sergeant Thomas Ricketts

SGT. THOMAS RICKETTS, VICTORIA CROSS, CROIX DE GUERRE

When Tommy Ricketts signs up for the First World War, he is illiterate and signs his attestation with an “X.” Fittingly, he is a student in Memorial University College’s first class. At 17, he is the youngest member of the army fighting in a combatant role to receive the prestigious Victoria Cross for gallantry. After the war ends, he attends Memorial University College and opens a successful pharmacy in downtown St. John’s. Photo courtesy The Rooms Provincial Archives Division (C4-18)

1924

1924

5 black and white headshots cropped as circles on a black background of the 5 founders of Memorial University - Ronald Kennedy, William Blackall, Vincent Burke, Arthur Barnes and Levi Curtis

Our Founders

Five founding trustees worked tirelessly for over a decade to create Memorial University College. From left to right: Ronald Kennedy, William Blackall, Vincent Burke, Arthur Barnes and Levi Curtis.

1924

A black and white photograph of Memorial University College’s original Parade Street building

Parade Street

The Parade Street campus opens for the Normal School on Sept. 29. The teacher training school has already been in operation since 1920 with Solomon Whiteway as principal. Trinity-born architect Arthur James Carman Paine designs the building. Construction takes two years and costs $350,000. Equipped with an assembly hall, library, lecture rooms, offices and laboratories, the future home of Memorial University College is ready.

1924

A black and white photographic portrait of Vincent Burke

Dream Becomes Reality

Despite years of hard work, the future of the college still hangs in the balance due to a lack of funding. In October, Vincent Burke, a founding trustee, travels to Halifax to meet with the Carnegie Corporation of America. Following the meeting, the corporation donates $15,000 a year for five years to establish a university college in St. John’s, with the provision that the Newfoundland government contributes $5,000 a year. It is the moment when the dream of Memorial University College becomes a reality.